My Earliest Childhood Memory

 Most of my early childhood has been and is still a blur to me I don't remember a lot of it. However, one memory had stuck to me throughout these years.

I can't remember exactly what day of the week it was but I remember it was quite late at night judging from the pitch darkness that surrounded us the only source of light was an eerily lit lantern seated on the desk at the center of the one-room apartment. At the corner was the 6x4 bed which took up the majority of the already small spaced apartment.

How things had led to that particular moment is still very unclear to me, all I can remember was screaming at the top of my lungs twisting and turning trying to avoid the figure of the woman aiming at me with a needle (my mum), the fact that she was a professional nurse and actually does it for a living was of no solace. I continued to scream as my mum continued to wrestle to find a comfortable spot and keep me still enough to stick the needle into my not-so-small frame. Outside the door, I hear knocks.

"Mummy Seun!", it was our next door neighbor "é fi si lé" (leave her alone)
"Iya Seun" (Seun's mother), another neighbor called from the back window, "é ma na mó" (stop beating her!)
Realizing the gang up against her, my mother eventually responded
"É ma da lohun, abéré nikan ni  mo  fé fun" (pay no attention to her, I'm just giving her an injection)
"Ko buru" (no problem), they responded with a light chuckle as I heard the footsteps of those I thought would be my saviors walk away.
After several more minutes of trying to wrestle out of the lock-down my mum had on me, she successfully inserted the needle into the skin of my left arm. I screamed louder out of pain but within seconds I was left alone to nurse the pain on my left arm.

While I can't significantly remember the pain I felt that night,  the struggle of that night imprinted itself in my memory.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pros and Cons of Living Alone

Where are they now?- Michael Power