Adulthood Friends

“I enjoyed our talk today”. She said
“I think we’ll be good friends”
My train of thought immediately screeched to an emergency stop.
Friends? Good Friends? In this my adult life? Is it still possible or am I hallucinating? or Did the one sip of vodka I had at the after party go straight to my head?

Although we had been acquaintances with occasional passerby hellos and his and more rarely, I like your hair. 
I did not envisage that this would be the outcome of our “outside the hospital” happy hour.
A mutual friend was getting hitched and we decided to carpool aka leech on, someone else to get to the destination of the wedding. Apparently, that was the setting needed to get things spiral out of control.

“Girls will always be girls”, despite the limited space available at the back seat of the Corolla we found ourselves going from minor chit-chat to full-on display of makeup gears and hair brushes, which led to a mini round of borrowing te a tete, and we that we bonded even more.

With our newly found closeness, we engaged in some deeper discussions on career paths and “boys”, her reason for confiding in “me” on this kind of issue still eludes me but all I realized what that experiences were shared, personal statements were made and it all felt wonderful.
In the course of our discussion I had entertained the thought of a full-on friendship, however, I tucked it back to the dark corner where it belonged.
Then she dropped the bombshell
“I think we’ll be good friends”
What!
A friend gained in my early adult -with a lot of awkward-stage?. 
Nothing had prepared me for this scenario. The alarm system in my brain went off putting all the other organs in disarray.
What do I do with “adulthood friend”?
Do I have to feed her, clean her and bathe her? If I have to feed her what do I give her, what if she doesn’t like what I give and spits it back on my face? Do I smack her?
I have always been used to childhood friends, we’ve grown together and accepted each other's weirdness
“My goodness what if I scare my adulthood friend with my weirdness”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pros and Cons of Living Alone

Where are they now?- Michael Power