On Exercising

A wise person once said, “Adulthood involves the vicious circle of gaining and losing the same 10-20 pounds”.
Since my most recent occupation status renewal as a stay at home humanoid, I noticed that I have gotten a little flabby but to be fair I have always been flabby, So I guess the more correct terminology here would be little more flabby. Though I discussed this with no one I was recently chatting with a friend whom has gotten to know about my new found sedentary lifestyle and knows for a fact how much of a miracle it would be for me to make an effort to go outside. It was during the course of our conversation this dude casually dropped the E-word (yes…exercising).

My first instinct was to ask what sort of brand of crack or marijuana he was smoking, but a lot of my willpower I had restrained myself for the sake of our friendship and politely said “NO, thank you. I think I would pass on that”
Few minutes passed as he still tries to butter me up and convince me into the dungeon of exercising but thank God for wisdom and persistence, I was able to make it out of that conversation alive and unscratched.
Fast forward to a few nights ago when my apartment experience a total blackout(its a terrible experience, especially when looking out your window and seeing other apartments lit filled with laughter and joy most of which are coming out of the TV set but yours is left there in the dark and gloom and all you feel is bitterness and sadness right to your soul…however, that is a topic for another time, another day, another season)

Back on track, it was during this trial of a night after having several sessions of lonesome thoughts, quite a number of epiphanies, multiple therapy sessions with myself. I decided to give it a try….a decision I wish I could take back. Laying on my bed, some “At home exercise” that I had come across on the internet began to come to mind. The first and easiest to recollect was the good old fashion sit-ups.

I geared up myself for the sit-ups… “one, two, three”…not so bad, I thought
…“ssssssssix, seee-ven”, the numbers were finding it difficult to escape my tightly pursed lips, my voice was getting weaker, my internal organs seem to be on fire with everything rambling around in a state of confusion, I almost gagged when I felt the bitter taste of bile hit the back of my throat.
“Ten!”… I exclaimed as I hit the bed in relief and for some moments I laid down there lifeless and paralyzed. I could not seem to move any muscle especially those around my abdomen. At that moment not only did I feel my tummy flat, it felt like the whole abdomen had been snatched away.



I laid there in the dark with a glimmer of the light ray from the fading lamp shining above my head and all I could think of was…”Never again….Never….Never again”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pros and Cons of Living Alone

Where are they now?- Michael Power