My name is...

“Ok, there she is. I have to tell her now…it is now or never” I said to myself as I prepare for “the speech” and my face for the brightest fake smile I have ever come up with. She drew nearer and I flashed my bright smile and raised my hand in a wave.
“Hi, Funmi”
“Hello Grace”, she replied
I drew in my breathe as I attempted to reveal a vital information of myself to this acquaintance (almost a friend) of mine that I have walked past and greeted every day for the past two years.
“Well….” I started
“How are you doing?” she asked
“Am fine” I replied and decided to go back to my plans. “ermm….”
“Okay, have a lovely day. See you bye”
“Okay bye” I replied as I watched as she glides off and continue on her way while I stand there disappointed and depressed.
I cannot continue like this, living someone else’s life (with the worst part being that I don’t even know whose life I am living). The truth had nudged constantly for the past two years, pestering me to come out of my shell of lie, to look her in the eyes and tell the truth right from the beginning.
I didn’t sign up for this life of lie from the onset, in fact I had on several occasions tried to look into her lovely brown eyes and spit out the whole truth, but each time I try or plan to try I find myself staring at her as she  walks away leaving a lot of things unsaid.
Till this day I long for that moment I get to tell her, “Well, hi. My name is actually Doyin. Nice to meet you”

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where are they now?- Michael Power

Pros and Cons of Living Alone